Marge Murray passed away around 11:30pm on Saturday, March 12th 2011 in Laramie, Wyoming.  Marge was surrounded by children Reggie, Robin, Mike, and other family members and loved ones.  Tectonic Theater Project company member, Greg Pierotti, was also with Marge and her family at the time of her passing.  Greg immediately informed the rest of the members of Tectonic Theater Project and I would like to share the end of his email:  

"I guess rather than go on trying to do justice to the events of this evening, it would be more fitting to close with a spiritual thought from Marge herself, which I think really says it all:"

"Uhh, (long pause), we’re all God’s children, and He don’t care what we’re doin’.  Uh, you know I have had three husbands and a couple of ‘fairs for Chris’sake.  And they’ve had to accept me."

I would like to encourage any of you who have been touched by Marge, at some point in your life, to share your stories or thoughts here on The Laramie Online Community.  

We love you, Marge!  May you live on in the hearts and memories of those you've touched.  

Views: 1215

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Upon hearing of Marge's passing on April 21, one of our actors, Afftene Taylor, who played Marge in the Duke University production of The Laramie Project (April 7-17, 2011), wrote this eulogy. Afftene gave me, the production dramaturg, permission to post her thoughts on this blog.

Honestly, I had always felt that if Marge wasn't already gone...she was close to it. The play described her as rising up in age. Also, she smoked which didn't make matters any better. This is a really painful and emotional reminder that these people that we portrayed are real and indeed have lives and subsequent death.

In a perfect world, I would have loved to have met Marge. She reminds me alot of my own grandmother, who passed 10 years ago. She was quick-witted and loved her children fiercely. She was my greatest character in the play, and I'm glad I had a chance to bring her to life. As Marge's soul makes its ascent to the heavenly skies to join Matthew Shepard, I say in her immortal words to Greg Pierotti in the final scene, "Now you take care. I love ya, honey. "

RIP Marge Murray

Sincerely,
Afftene Taylor
Duke University Class of 2012
Public Policy Major, Theater Studies Minor, Arts of the Moving Image Certificate
Co-President of Diversity Team of the Career Center's Career Ambassadors Team

You can read more about the connections our cast made between themselves and the citizens that populate The Laramie Project at our production blog: http://sites.duke.edu/dukeinlaramie/. Sincerely, Jules Odendahl-James

Thank you James and Afftene!

Hi Laramie Project friends and campadres.

Yes, I was priveleged to be with Marge at Ivinson hospital when she passed away.  Here is the full text of the email I sent to the original company members on that occasion: 

Marge Murray passed away around 11:30pm on Saturday, March 12th 2011 in Laramie, Wyoming.  Her death was incredibly peaceful.  She was surrounded by her family:  Reggie, Mike, Robin, other siblings and grandchildren and their partners.  Dani (Reggie's daughter) is on her way from LA and should be here in the morning.

As you already know, they are a remarkable family, and conducted themselves with incredible heart, generosity, and dignity.  Having felt the love surrounding Marge as she passed was a profound reminder to me of how I would like to conduct my own life. Any of us would be lucky indeed to have a death like Marge had.  For as tough as she was, she was as good and loving a person as any person I have ever met. She was a true original and we are all so privileged to have had her life touch ours.

There is a picture of Marge up on the wall of her trailer.  She must be in her very early twenties.  She was incredibly gorgeous and glamourous in her youth.  A truly striking woman.  And kind of a siren by all reports.  She was even more beautiful tonight.  She looked so calm and at ease and she seemed to be basking in the loving attention surrounding her as she slipped away.

I guess rather than go on trying to do justice to the events of this evening, it would be more fitting to close with a spiritual thought from Marge herself, which I think really says it all:

"Uhh, (long pause), we’re all God’s children, and He don’t care what we’re doin’.  Uh, you know I have had three husbands and a couple of ‘fairs for Chris’sake.  And they’ve had to accept me."

We love you Marge. God speed!

I would love to hear thoughts and reflections from anyone who played Marge or was touched by her character in The Laramie Project.  She was such a treat.  I really miss her.

Best, Greg Pierotti

I'm Julia Carrigan, and I'm currently a sophomore at George School in Newtown, Pennsylvania. And I'm about a half an hour until places for the opening night of my school's production of Laramie. Primarily, I play Marge, and I have been honored with such a role. I have been honored to be able to embody such a strong, powerful woman. Throughout the process of preparing for this play, I have been astounded again and again by the love that surrounds Marge. The way her words and her being is so infused with love: for her daughter, for her town, for her world. I've never seen a picture of her, but I have to agree with Greg, she is beautiful. She is so beautiful, and that is so evident in this play. I guess, I don't really know what I'm trying to say, because her being and spirit and heart are simply ineffable. So, thank you Tectonic for highlighting the life of this amiable, affable, ineffable woman. And thank you to Marge for being so entirely herself. I hold her in my heart as I perform tonight, and as I live the rest of my life.

RSS

© 2014 Tectonic Theater Project. All Rights Reserved.   Created by Jeff Livney (Admin).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Laramie Project Cycle Tectonic Education Community Engagement
Performances Photos Videos Forum Blogs